Follow these steps to configure your Android device to use UoN Wi-Fi network. This setup will remain in effect until you cancel it.
These instructions are known to work with devices running Android version 2.3.6 (GingerBread) Upto version 4.2 (JellyBean).
1. Touch the Settings icon on a Home or All Apps screen.
2. Touch Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi. Slide the Wi-Fi switch to the On position.
3. The device scans for available Wi-Fi networks and displays the names of those it finds. Secured networks are indicated with a Lock icon.
Touch a network name to see more details or connect to it. If the network is secured, you're prompted to enter a password or other credentials. You will see chemichemi or chemiweb connections. We recommend you choose and use chemichemi which is easier to setup.
1. Touch & hold a network in the list of Wi-Fi networks.
2. Touch Modify network in the dialog that opens.
3. Select Show advanced options.
4. UoN Wi-Fi network has proxy settings, touch Manual in the menu that opens.
5. Enter the proxy settings i.e. URL: proxy.uonbi.ac.ke , port: 80
6. Touch Save.
7. The proxy settings apply only to the Wi-Fi network you modified. To change the proxy settings for other Wi-Fi networks, modify them individually.
NOTE: Proxy settings are used by Browser only.
Once you have connected to the Wi-Fi network with the proxy and have Opera Mobile running:
1. Type opera:config into the address bar then enter
2. Scroll down the page until you get to Proxy and click it to display the settings
3. Now Scroll down again until you get to HTTP server and HTTPS server and in these two fields type this proxy information in the format address:port (i.e. proxy.uonbi.ac.ke:80)
4. Scroll down more until you get to Use HTTP and Use HTTPS and tick both boxes then click on save
5. Now close the window and go to any site and the proxy should be working on Opera Mobile, and if your proxy server needs a username and password, a popup will tell you to enter them. After that you can go to any site.